Crossway’s External Ministry Team focuses on serving beyond ourselves. That means, we want to be for the blessing of people who might never be a part of our church.
We think of it in three geographical settings:
- Local: the greater East Lansing area
- Regional: both elsewhere in Michigan and around the United States
We want to help our church fulfill the great commandments to love God with all that we are and to love our neighbors (both near and far) as ourselves, and to fulfill the great commission to make disciples of the peoples of every nation.
Crossway Core Value: Serving Beyond Ourselves
God has demonstrated His love toward us in actions through His Son and the Holy Spirit, and He now calls us to serve others, both inside churches (Galatians 6:9-10) and separate from churches (Luke 10:29-37). We want to spur each other on to do what is good (Hebrews 10:24-25; Titus 2:11-15), and love and serve others together. The Holy Spirit empowers believers as witnesses locally, regionally, and ‘to the ends of the earth’ (Acts 1:8). Along this mission, Jesus assures followers of his presence, authority, and peace: “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” (John 20:21; Matthew 28:18-20)
Purpose & Responsibilities
The External Ministry team’s purpose is to lead and facilitate CMC in external mission = serving beyond ourselves. The essence of this mission is making disciples …of the whole person (including head, heart, and hands)…of all peoples…of all places (both local and distant). Responsibilities of the team include:
- Decision making: Where, how much, how long, what kind of CMC resources should be given
- Lead CMC in providing support: (e.g. prayer, encouragement, talking about the vision to serve beyond ourselves)
- Facilitate CMC people joining in ministry as appropriate
- Disciple CMC community for missional thinking toward healthy, biblical worldview and engagement with others.